AMERICAN ACCENT TRAINING COURSE
This course is designed to help you boost your confidence in speaking English. We cover the major problem areas experienced by English language learners. In the beginning lessons, you will learn the fundamentals of American English, the sounds. We start with this because many people don’t take time to focus on this aspect of English, especially the English vowels. Then, we move into highlighting some problems areas with the sound/spelling system in English. And finally we will discover, practice and use the stress and intonation patterns. By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Use the international phonetic alphabet
- Correctly pronounce the sounds of American English
- Use English stress and intonation
- Change your speech pattern to be more fluent and confident in English!
LESSONS 1-7: AN INTRODUCTION TO THE NORTH AMERICAN SOUNDS SYSTEM
Description: There are many nuances in the English phonological (sounds) system. In this class, we focus on the parts of your speech that interfere with your English pronunciation.We will focus on the phonology, or the sounds of English.We will practice all 42 of the English sounds so that you can differentiate them to improve your comprehensibility and listening.
- become comfortable using the international phonetic alphabet
- be introduced to the phonemes (sounds) of English….there are more than 40 of them!!
- Learn about word and sentence stress
- Develop your skills and awareness of English intonation patterns
- Change you speech pattern to be more fluent and fluid in English
NORTH AMERICAN ENGLISH STRESS, RHYTHM AND INTONATION
Description: Discover your ability to turn individual sounds into connected speech.You will practice connecting sounds between words and sentences to increase your comprehensibility in English (the ability for someone to understand your English). The “song of English” is one of the most difficult, and most important elements of English pronunciation.You will begin to move beyond connected speech into sentence level stress, rhythm and intonation practices.You will learn some of the higher order problem areas that non-native speakers typically encounter while learning English such as: grammar, word order, questions, negatives, copula, pronouns, modal verbs, gerund, articles, adjectives, adverbs, and more.